Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oh, rats!

Oh no, you say! Oh, yes. Kim went out the the storeroom last night at about 10:00 to put the dog in her kennel for the night. All I heard was, "Oh no, Tim!" As I got up quickly and said, "What's wrong," (I knew by her tone of voice it wasn't pleasant) she responded, "That was NOT a mouse, that was definitely a rat. It was too big to be a mouse. I just saw its back end and tail disappearing over some of the things on the shelf."

There was a brief moment of silence...then over the top of the items on the shelf came a small (5 inches + tail? I know small is relative but when you've seen the Chicago river rats as big as a cat, 5 inches is small) RAT. I expected a battle and pictured in my mind, grabbing the baseball bat that was near at hand and smashing every item on the shelf and the shelves themselves before I got the little turkey (or RAT as the case was). But before I knew what was happening it scurried over things as fast as it could and made for its only SAFE exit...the way it came in.

Houses here have vents near the roof that are no more than a foot long hole framed with wood and covered with screen. Here in the storeroom, however, the wire from the solar panel enters the vent leaving a small gap in the screen around the wire. Apparently this little (or large if you don't believe in Chicago river rats) invader had pushed it's way through the screen to access a veritable smorgasbord (okay, Sven, we aren't in Sweden anymore) of storage food from powdered sugar to other grains. Though Ugandans have made it a rule to be very hospitable to visitors, I have to put my foot down here. How does one say, "You are NOT welcome" to a visitor in Luganda?

I realized duct tape and baling wire is probably as useful here in Uganda as it is in the States. I read Ephesians 3:2,3 this morning, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." I KNOW Paul wasn't talking about RATS!!
Only by God's grace, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment