Sunday, September 5, 2010

Causing a Political Stir in Uganda


I thought I was doing something that was difficult but I certainly didn't think I was going to cause a political stir.
When it rains here in Uganda, it rains hard packing down the soil that may have just been turned over for planting. So, soft dirt turns into something resembling concrete. Soil also tends to dry out quickly after a rain making it difficult to keep it moist for any length of time. Farming God's Way teaches that it is important to have ground cover for your garden to 1. Retain moisture 2. Keep the rain from compacting the soil 3. Replenish the soil with the decaying ground cover.

I decided, the best ground cover for my new garden would be banana leaves. There they are, stacked on top of my car. All I had to do was to drive back to my new garden and dump them off...through the villages of Wabatunda, Wakayamba and Kabbubu.

What does this have to do with politics? That's what I wondered when Jennie Dangers told me I had just made a political statement. What does banana leaves have to do with politics? I just thought people were staring at me because I was a Mazungu driving with a huge pile of banana leaves. Jennie corrected me and said that anyone who wanted to support the incumbent would put banana leaves on their car or boda-boda (motorcycle).

The last thing I wanted to do was to get involved in politics especially since even in Kiwoko (just 2 km from New Hope) there was violence during the primaries just three weeks ago. Just goes to show, you can make a statement...a BIG statement...without even trying. Thanks Jennie.

No comments:

Post a Comment