Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Desire of My Heart

...your name and renown are the desire of my heart. Isaiah 26:8

...the theme for the Envisioning Week here at New Hope Uganda. We take a week every year to refocus as staff. I was invited to present for one of the sessions. It was fascinating to hear the different names of God that individuals personally experienced. They shared with each other what names of God they had personally experienced. I realized in the middle of the sharing that what they were doing is proclaiming the Name of God and His renown was going out into the heavenly realms. Amazing to think that the heavenly realms, angels and demons are learning about God and His character from what we go through and how we talk about it.

As I walked with the staff through the process of asking themselves what were the desires of their heart, I had a few travel from point A to point B but using different ways of getting there (an idea from a seminar I went to) and then asked why they did what they did. What was their motivation? It was interesting the response. Everything from "I wanted to be creative" to "It was fun." I did the same thing with our family group of about 18 kids from 7 - 19 years of age and the answers got a bit deeper: "Because I was in authority and I told them to."

But then we explored why do we do anything. What is our motivation? What is the desire of our hearts? Fame, success, money. But why do we want money? It seemed it all came down to "making me happy" Wow! Then I had to take stock in why I was doing what I was doing. What is my motivation? Some of it is good: I want others to have an intimate relationship with the God of the universe. Some of it isn't: I want people to like me. I want God to be happy with me. Ouch. I think I really just want to fall in love with my Savior over and over again because of who He is. I want that to be the desire of my heart. Now to live it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment