Monday, May 24, 2010

A Good Land

Waking up to the crowing of roosters is going to be a common theme, at least for awhile. But as the sun lightened the horizon, I looked over the valley right out our front yard and realized the beautiful country our great God had brought us to.

Yesterday, our family took our first trip alone into town. Yes, I drove (on the "wrong side"-the left side-of the road) shifting with my left hand and trying to remember that the blinker is on the other side also. Thankfully it was raining so the road, virtually one lane, was clear of vehicles, buses, pedestrians, bicyclers, motorcycles, etc. Kim did great at the shop buying beans, posho (a ground maize meal) and g-nuts (a ground nut paste) for our workers, Fiona, Kipeti (pronounced Chippeti) and Justine.

As I began to read Deuteronomy this morning, I was stopped at chapter 8 verse 10,
"When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you."
I have to remember God's goodness as I sit and watch the sunrise and hear the sounds of the morning waking up. But God says remember and obey. Even as I get accustomed to driving on the left side, as we are going to the market where I don't know any prices nor do I know Luganda (even though they speak English), as we begin to try and understand the culture including having workers in our house doing work that we could do (at least right now before we get into the Institute, start homeschooling and begin working outside the home)...I have to remember to listen. I can't neglect the people God has already put in our path:

Andrew who came over to the house Sunday and said, "I need to play with Micah"
A staff member who needs guidance
Kipeti who told me how pleased he was with an American who discipled him but then moved back to the States.

"Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in his ways and revering him. For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land..." Deut. 8:6,7

That He is. Obey.
Only by God's grace, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment